I can carry my Web compositions in an Eminima mini-CD* and make any Pentium PC an instant Internet server. Now, isn't that a miracle?
- Aileen, Master of Development
Management graduate, UPLB
* What you see or create here can be put truly online in the Internet - this website runs Eminima technology!
Eminima Empowers Change Agents
Eminima empowers change agents with easy tools for interacting with clients 24x7 using a PC, a network of PCs, or the Internet. Teachers, local government officials, or staff of NGOs and businesses can use Eminima without worrying about constraints.
Eminima is a set of minimalist software for interaction between clients and change agents using a PC or a number of PCs in a network. A software is included in Eminima if it satisfies the following criteria:
- It is free or open-source software, preferably released under the GNU GPL.
- The least amount of effort or resources is required to have it actually perform the task.
- It enables the change agent to easily store and carry both software and data.
- Local support can be made available for both clients and change agents.
Eminima came out of the author's vision of bringing interactive Internet technology to the grassroots, as advocated in the First Egovernance Conference at the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) in March 2004. Eminima was presented first as a concept and then as an elearning suite in national elearning conferences in the Philippines, years 2004-2005 (see www.elearning.ph). On March 1, 2005, the author founded LittleCandle.Net, the first home of Eminima in the World Wide Web. Eminima earned recognition in a Department of Science and technology contest and qualified for the Philippines National Inventor's Week held in November 2005.
As of March 1, 2005, Eminima includes the Slax and Puppy distributions of Linux as well as Apache + PHP and scripts for publishing Web pages, creating and administering tests, and getting user feedback. Data are stored in text files (.htm or .txt for Web pages, .q for test questions) and image files (.gif, .jpg, or .png). The use of PDF file in Eminima was added in June 2005. Eminima scripting uses a single file for performing tasks, except when a second file is needed to enhance security, This way, a user can just drop an Eminima script or two in a folder and begin working interactively with clients.
For sure, there is creativity in everyone. And this is the single biggest requirement in making exercises and tests that can bring fun to learning. Using Eminima and the mini-CD, every teacher or trainer can create a fun test in just one sitting. And since teachers can save and share test questions, everyone will have her own test bank in no time at all.
In the afternoon of February 10, 2005, teacher Rowena de la Cruz dropped by the IDMG office and created this quiz. Try it to experience an online test: click here.
Links to Other Pages
Here are the quick links to the different areas of the site. Note that each link below will open a new browser window.
- The help or mini-tutorial in Eminima Web publishing.
- Testing page- the page for creating, editing and reporting tests. Here, you can create your own tests and take those created by others.
- Owner's (or administrator's) page - the main page for creating, uploading, and displaying content. This page should be kept secret, and and will be displayed only to the site owner.
- User's page - this is the screen you are seeing now.
Share your views via the discussion link at the top, left column, or email Raffy at raffymn at y ahoo . c o m . Thanks!